Our intent is to invest in people, ideas and effective organisations who, through their work, serve to strengthen society.
“The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them”
The big issues that will fundamentally effect our society and shape our future are the effects of climate on how we live and the international and national response to the refugee humanitarian crisis and the impact of that on society.
None of these issues are too big to make a difference to. All can be brought back to the local and all will have implications for the people of Munster, Ireland and the wider world. The solutions and responses will be local.
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”
The quality of our response to these issues will be shaped by the quality of our debate, the strength of our communities, our sense of identity and our empathy. These in turn will be shaped by the quality of our media, our education, and the levels of inequality and inclusiveness in society.
From 2017-2026 we will encourage
· the development of a sustainable, resilient society, supporting community initiatives that address local sustainability and build social capital.
· the development of a socially cohesive society, supporting the integration of refugees and ethnic minorities
· Investment in our children. That they get the best start in life, and grow up healthy, connected to community contributing to society.
· The Community Foundation of Ireland on the Tomar Education Fund
· The Social Innovation Fund with Rethink Ireland
· The Social Innovation Fund – Resilient Communities Fund
· Ballyhoura Development
· Clare Local Development Company
· Waterford LEADER Partnership
· Avondhu Blackwater Partnership
· Kilkenny LEADER Partnership
The Tomar Trust is governed by a Board of Trustees. The final decision on all grants lies with the Trustees.
Our accounts are audited annually by Ernst and Young and filed with the Charities Regulator.